Monday 12 November 2012

 Part 2
New College

The College's official name is, the College of St Mary. It's the same as that of the older Oriel College;
hence, it had been referred to as the "New College of St Marys" and is now almost always called "New College.Despite of it's name, New College is one of the oldest of the Oxford Colleges; it was founded by William of Wykeham, Bishop of Winchester " as the College of St Mary Winchester in Oxford".

Looking Towards The Front Quantangle

At the time of its foundering, New College was larger than all of the existing Oxford Colleges combined. One of Oxfords prestigious Colleges, the College grounds are amount the largest of the Oxford Colleges, it's also one of Oxford most visited Colleges.

Windows Of The Chapel

New College is also famous for its cloisters, the cloister and bell tower were last to be completed (in 1400). The cloister were used in an episode of Inspector Morse called "Fat Chance", it also appeared and the 1997 James Bond film "Tomorrow Never Dies",where  it was used as the Swedish embassy.
In 2005 the cloisters were used in the film "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, New College served as the Hogwarts backdrop for some scenes, notably that in which Draco Malfoy is turned into a ferret by Mad-Eye Moody.

The Bell Tower Seen From The Cloister

Looking Along The Western Cloister

Roof Of The Cloister

The Ilex (Evergreen Elm Tree) In The Cloister, It Was In A Scene From Harry Potter And The Goblet Of Fire

The ancient Oxford City wall, belongs to New College, and is of particular interest. When William of Wykeham founded the College, he formally agreed to maintain the City wall when he acquired the land. Every 3 years the Lord Mayor and corporation of the City take a walk along the wall to make sure that the obligation is being fulfilled, it's a tradition dating back to the College foundations in 1379.

A Section Of The 12th Century Wall

A Wrought Iron Gate Leads To The Gardens

Front Quadrangle With The Entrances To The Cloister And Chapel

Brasenose College

The Radcliffe Square Entrance
When the College was founded in 1509 by Sir Richard Sutton and the Bishop of Lincoln, it was known as Brazen Nose College (in full; The Kings Hall and College of Brasenose, often referred to by the abbreviation BNC). The College was built on the site of Brase Hall. It's name is believed to derive from the name of a bronze knocker that adorned the Hall's door. The main College site  comprises of three quads, the original small quad the small second quad is affectionately known as the deer park and the large new quad.

Stonework Above The Radcliffe Square Entrance

Brasenose College face's the west side of Radcliffe Square opposite Radcliffe Camera in the centre of Oxford.
The north side is defined by Brasenose lane, while the south side reaches the High Street.
To the west is Lincoln College. At the it's south-east end the College is separated from the University Church by St Mary's passage, the main entrance of the College can be found on Radcliffe Square, although not located on Turl Street the College has links with three Turl Street Colleges (Lincoln, Jesus, and  Exeter). The College is also physically linked to Lincoln College through a connection door, which Brasenose College members are permitted to enter Lincoln College through on ascension day each year. The door is opened for five minutes only and it's the only time during the year that the door is unlocked. Brasenose members are then served an ale by Lincoln College which id traditionally flavoured with ground ivy.

Time For A chat In Brasenose College

All Souls College

The College of All Souls of The Faithful Departed was founded by Henry VI and Henry Chichele (fellow of New College and Archbishop of Canterbury), in 1438, today the College is a primary and academic research institution with particular strengths in the humanities and social and theoretical sciences and an outstanding library. The main enterance is situated on the High Street near Cattle lane, the west side of the College and the west end of the Chapel looks out onto the east side of the Radcliffe Camera in Radcliffe Square,

The West Side Of The College

Towers Of All Souls College

The Chapel was built between 1438 and 1442, it remained largely unchange until the commonwealth- Oxford having been a Royalist-stronghold suffered a certain amount of the puritan's wrath.
The forty two misericords date from when the Chapel was built, and show a family resemblance to the misericords at Higham Ferrers,Rushden in Northamptonshire, as they were, also, possibly carved by Richard Tyllock. Sir Christopher Wren was a fellow from 1653 and in 1658 he produced a sundial which was placed on the south wall of the Chapel, until it was moved to the quadangle in 1877. During the 1660s a screen was installed, which was based on a design by Wren. However, this screen needed to be rebuilt by 1713. By the mid 19th centuary, much work was needed and so, todays Chapel is heavenly by and Victorian ideas.

The West End Of The Chapel
The All Souls Library (formally known as The Codrington Library) was founded through a bequest from Christopher Codrington (1668-1710), a fellow of the College. Christopher Codrington bequested books worth £6,000 in addition to £10,000 currency, this bequest allowed the Library to be built and endowed. Christopher Codrington born in Barbados and amassed his fortune from plantion slavery, the library was completed ind in 1751 and has been in continous use ever since. The modern Library comprises some 187,000 items, about about a third of who were published before 1800.
The College are particulary strong in law, history, and classics.

The West End Of All Souls Library

Wrought Irongate Of All Souls

All Photos Taken And Owned By DDPearce Of Darrins Photography


No comments:

Post a Comment