Thursday, 3 January 2013


CORNWALL
 
 
26th October 2012
 
 
Day 14 
 
 
 

Today was to be our last full day of our holiday and we would be going to the Lands End Peninsula, where we would visit the Levant Tin Mine and Cape Cornwall.
First we had to drop my daughter off at Penzance Railway Station so he could catch the 10 am train to Reading. We then moved on the steam driven engine at Levant Tin Mine, it's the last Cornish team driven engine in its original location in the world. The mine dates back to 1820 and it closed in 1930, here you'll find a visitor centre and you can take a short underground tour. The mine reached a depth of 600 metres. It was given the nickname of " Mine under the sea", because tunnels were driven up to 2.5 km from the cliffs to under the sea, tin and copper were raised from these mines.
 
 
A Map Of The Levant Mine

The Building Housing The Steam Engine

This Is How The Engine Opperater Knew Level The Lift Was At

A Plan Showing How The Lift Opperated

On The Lift There Are Steps Which The Miners Stood On


Looking Down One Of The Shafts

A Plan Showing How The Shaft Was Not In A Straight Line

 Tragedy Strikes
 
In the afternoon of 20th October 1919 at 2.45 a disaster struck at the mine. The main engine was carrying a full load of miners who were being raised to the surface at the end of their shift, when an iron strap securing the beam to a wooden rod in the shaft broke.
The Main engine rod fell down the shaft carrying its human cargo with it. At a depth of almost 150 feet, just below the 24 fathom balance bob. The engine rod broke in two and crashed down through the shaft. Projections on the side of the engine from known as the catch wings stopped the rod from any further decent at the 70 fathom level (420 feet). There was still a great deal of destruction caused to the upper parts of the shaft and 31 miners were lost. A simple plaque next to the shaft lists the names of those miners that were lost. After the disaster the mine never fully recovered.

 
A Piece Of The Broken Strap
The Plaque Reads

This is the broken off part of the
   iron strap from the top of the man
        engine rod. Its failure cost the lives of
  32 miners and injured 19 others in
             1919. The enquiry found that the fracture
                 was caused by an internal defect in the iron,
               probably as a result of faulty manufacture.


Looking Down one of The Shafts

The Names Of The Lost Miners

                Henry Andrews - Nancherrow Terrace, St Just
      Johnt.Angwin - Regent Terrace, St Just
    Peter Branwell - Chapel Street, St Just
                     Thomas Branwell - Carnyorth
                     S.J. Brewer - Church Square, St Just
                     George H.Eddy - Bosorne Road, St Just
                     John Ellis - South Place, St Just
                    William Henry Ellis - Chapel Street, St Just
                    W.J.George - Cresswell Terrace
                    John Grenfell - Cresswell Terrace
                    William J. Harvey - Boscaswell
                    Ben Hocking - Kelynack Moor, St Just
                    W.J. Hocking - Truthwall
                    John Kevern - Carn View Terrace, Pendeen
                    James Maddern - Carn Bosavern
                    Matthew E. Matthews - Bojewyan
                    Nicholas J. Matthews - Chapel Street, St Just
                    William J. Murley - Tregeseal, St Just
                    Matthew Newton - Carn Bosavern
                    James H. Oates - South Place, St Just
                    Sampson Osborne - Chapel Street, St Just
                    Eddy F. Pasco - Prince Street, St Just
                    Tom Rowe - Cresswell Terrace
                    Leonard Semmens - Nancherrow Terrace, St Just
                    Nicolas H. Thomas - Boscaswell
                    John Tonkin - Boscean
                    Edwin T.Trathen - Bosjewyan
                   William Henry Tregear - Bosorne Road, St Just
                    J.Vingoe Trembath - Bojewyan
                   William E. Waters - Chapel Street, St Just
                   John Wearne - Bosorne Fields, St Just
 




This Drawing Show How The Miner's Used The Lift




Photo Of Some Miners

The Miners At Work
 
Buildings Of Levant

 
An Old Photo Of How The Mine Once Looked
 
The Count House
The Count House Is Where The Miners Collected Their Wages

 
Fireplace In The Count House

Part Of The Tiled Floor

Close Up Of One Of The Tiles

Still Looking Good After All These Years

Single Tile
 
The Dry Room And Changing Room


 
 
This building is where the miners would change into their working clothes and when they finished their shifts they would wash and change in to their clean clothes. In this building there were four baths, one in each corner. In the middle of the photo below, this is where pillars once stood and running the entire length either side of the pillars ran wooden benches and hooks for clothing. Also in one of the corners is a spiral stone staircase that led to the tunnel that took the miners to one of the shafts.
 
 

The Dry Room And Changing Room
One Of The Baths Can Still Hold Water
Another Bath, The Plughole Can Be Seen In The Middle Of The Bath

 

 Way To The Mine Shaft
 
 
Once the miners left the changing room they would gone down a stone staircase and enter a tunnel which took them to the shaft. Once in the tunnel they would collected or leave things in pidgeon holes built into the wall of the tunnel. This is also where the 1919 disaster took place.


Enterance to the Mine Shaft
 
A Bit Of Info About The Mine

The Pidgeon Holes

Looking Back Towards The Enterance


Three Chimney Stacks


Pendeen Lighthouse See Throught A Doorway Of The Smithy And Workshop



Thick Granite Walls Of An Outbuilding


Holding Pens Near Levant mines

Way In To The Pens

On the way out of the main site of Levant tin mines, we passed a engine house standing all by itself. I think it still belongs to Levant.


Engine House

Once A Noisey Place, Now The Only Sound Now Is The Wind Blowing Through The Ruin


When They Built These Buildings They Were Made To Last


I Love The Ivy Covered Shapes On The Stonewall


Chim, Chimney, Chim, Chimney, Chim, Chim, Chroo

View From A Gate

Todays Route

All Photos Taken And Owned By DDPearce
Map By Google








 

No comments:

Post a Comment